Biletul 8 agree or disagree with the following statement?

Subiecte, discutii si rezolvari proba orala la Limba Engleza L1 normal si L2

Biletul 8 agree or disagree with the following statement?

Mesajde mell pe Vin Apr 25, 2008 2:35 pm

8. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Grades (marks) encourage students to learn.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
mell
Elev de nota 10

Re: Biletul 8 agree or disagree with the following statement?

Mesajde Andreea pe Lun Mai 05, 2008 7:39 am

Whether grades could encourage students to learn has been argued for a while. There are varity of arguments among students and teachers. It is a important topic because it concerns with the method how we educate effectively our students. From my experience, I agree with the idea that grades encourage students to learn.

It has been argued that marks could make some students stressful,
especially for the students with poor grades. However, as research on the education indicated that grades could let students clearly understand their performance and let them know their advantage and disadvantage. For example, without grades, how could students know what talent they really have? Grades is the indicator of students' ability to master the knowledge.

Moreover, the teacher can clearly master the status of each student study through grades. Every one had talent, but no one had all the talent. By grades, the teacher can understand ach student's talent. For instance, some students may be good at logic thinking, such as mathmatics, physics; the others may like atheletic, such as baseball, tennis. By grades, the teacher can give different advice to different student.

Furthermore, only through grades can parents understand how their child's performance in the study. For example, when I had a poor performance in some courses, my parents always helped me figure out the reason and help me go through it. Each time I went through this difficulty, I had more confidence on my study.

In conclusion, grades can encourge students to learn. It can help students realize their talents and find out their disadvantages. Without grades, how could a student clearly understand themselves?
Andreea
Elev de nota 10

Mesajde minac pe Mie Iun 11, 2008 12:56 pm

ce inseamna Furthermore ?
minac
Elev

Mesajde Aixa pe Lun Iun 23, 2008 9:17 pm

Whether grades could encourage students to learn has been argued for a while. There is a variety of arguments among students and teachers. It's obvious that good grades encourages student to learn. Sometimes a bad grade lowers self esteem and causes frustration. A few students would be encouraged to improve but a lot feel discouraged to try.But sometimes a bad grade can stimulate a student to learn and to work hard to obtain a higher grade.
Grades let students clearly understand their performance and let them know their advantages and disadvantages. For example, without grades, how could students know what talent they really have? Grades is the indicator of students ability to master the knowledge.

Moreover, the teacher can clearly master the status of each student study through grades. Everyone has talent, but no one has all the talent. By grades, the teacher can understand each student's talent and can give different advice to different student.
Furthermore, only through grades can parents understand their child's performance in the study. For example, when I had a poor performance in some courses, my parents always helped me figure out the reason and help me go through it. Each time I went through this difficulty, I had more confidence on my study.

In conclusion, grades can encourge students to learn. It can help students realize their talents and find out their disadvantages. Without grades, how could students clearly understand themselves?
Aixa
Elev Silitor

Mesajde musa paradisiaca pe Mar Iun 24, 2008 12:36 pm

mell scrie:
8. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Grades (marks) encourage students to learn.

"Exams are the teachers' tools; marks are the students' destiny." ( A Chinese Saying )

"I try to instill a sense of intrinsic reward in the students. I'd rather see a student learn for the sake of learning than for the sake of a car." ( Reagan Hawkins )

"Blessings on your young courage, boy; that's the way to the stars." ( Virgil, "Aeneid" )

Introduction :

- in education, a grade ( or mark ) is a teacher's standardized evaluation of a student's work;
- so school grades ( or school marks ) are the equivalent of money ( wage / salary ) received by adults for their work;
- the analogy with money implies that school grades can be good stimulants for a student's work;

Development :

A. School Grades : Encouraging the "Rewards' Competition"

- learning is its own reward, but ( some ) kids respond best to cash;
- I read about an American kid whose grades got higher when his parents started offering $ 5 for A's and $ 4 for B's;
- another American kid admitted rewards are a great way to motivate him;
- for this reason, parents tend to think of different rewards to offer their kids for good grades;
- students in Nederland, Texas, told Reagan Hawkins, their teacher, that they will get a new car for A's;
- but their parents will downgrade the deal to a used car if they get B's;
- adults who promise money, gifts or privileges say their children study harder when the stimulants / incentives are on the table;
- the lesson they hope to teach is that rewards require work;
- the trick is to make sure that students develop a natural love of learning along the way;
- but Virginia Shiller, a clinical psychologist and author of "Rewards for Kids", suggests that rewards should be based on weekly progress, not on long term report cards;
- this way parents are forced to pay more attention to how their kids struggle and when they make small victories;
- and this way the system of rewards comes to attain its good aim, that is to reward good study habits, and not just good grades;

B. School Grades : Encouraging the "Selves' Competition"

- in most of the cases, school grades are good indicators of knowledge;
- a high mark reflects a high level of understanding; a low mark - a low level of understanding;
- students like to measure up with the expectations of Parents, Teachers and other Peers;
- high marks encourage competition - the competition of selves;
- the competition of selves in the battle for higher grades is a normal stage in the development of the understanding of the role of grades in school life;
- I think every schoolchild or student at least one time in his or her school life asked himself / herself if he / she was better or worse than their classmates;
- grades encourage students to compete with each other, but by this they can learn, can gain more experience and knowledge, and be more self-confident and persistent;
- grades introduce competitiveness into the classroom;
- in this competitiveness, every normal kid wants to be the best;
- and the small victories upon others - an intermediate stage in their GRADES BATTLE, can help them win and succeed in the future;
- and what is this future ?
- of course, the competition with ONE SELF, that is MY SELF;

C. School Grades : Encouraging the "Self's Competition"

- normally, all students want to get good grades;
- because with good grades they can have a diploma after graduation;
- they also know that with good grades they can apply for higher education or find a job more easily;
- but getting good grades should not be a purpose in itself;
- studying for grades' sake does not make one excellent in something;
- when students understand that grades are the reflection of their own VALUES they enter the competition with themselves;
- grades encourage students to learn more only if they care about their future;
- and the students who think about their future know that it matters in this competitive world to be better than others;
- grades can sometimes determine a student's preferrence and encouragement to bring out the best in him / her in that area or field he / she did better in;
- some students ( usually poor schoolchildren or students who did not receive rewards from their parents ) feel the pressure of competition with his/her own SELF earlier, and this makes them TRUE WINNERS;
- so whether grades encourage students to learn or not depends hugely on the student's point of view, on his / her inner motivation, and on his / her personality;

Conclusion :

- school grades can / may encourage in schoolchildren / students the COMPETITION for REWARDS - a normal stage in the development of understanding the role of school grades in their school lives;
- school grades can / may encourage in schoolchildren / students the COMPETITION with "OTHER SELVES" - a normal stage in the development of understanding the role of school grades in their school lives;
- school grades can / may encourage in students the COMPETITION with "ONE SELF" ( that is MY SELF ) - the last stage ( and the most desirable one ) in the development of understanding the function of school grades in their school lives;
Ultima oară modificat de musa paradisiaca pe Mar Iun 24, 2008 11:29 pm, modificat 1 dată în total.
musa paradisiaca
Elev de nota 10

Mesajde Leatus pe Mie Iun 25, 2008 9:33 am

. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Grades (marks) encourage students to learn.

i disagree and agree at the same time. Good grades encourage students to learn while bad grades encourage students to skip classes, flunk school and have other hobbies like smoking having sex getting drunk partying instead of learning or studying for school. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to smoke have sex drink and party but if you do that all the time you dont have time to study or learn for your subjects. So good grades encourage players/students/kids to study and perform better in classes while bad grades discourage players and lowers their morale. So students who receive lower grades are more depressed than others and choose to undertake other activities while ignoring the school the teachers and everything that is related to it. I said "players" because all humans are playing life. Life is a game etc.

coco chanel daca esti asa inteligent de ce nu postezi tu un exemplu de raspuns la intrebarea asta idioata ?
Leatus
Elev

de Robot pe

Robot

Locaţie: IT

Înapoi la L1 normal si L2