Biletul 3 Damage of the environment is an inevitable..

Subiecte, discutii si rezolvari proba orala la Limba Engleza L1 normal si L2

Biletul 3 Damage of the environment is an inevitable..

Mesajde mell pe Vin Apr 25, 2008 11:42 am

3.Damage of the environment is an inevitable consequence of worldwide improvements in the standard of living. Discuss.
mell
Elev de nota 10

Re: Biletul 3 Damage of the environment is an inevitable..

Mesajde kenzolic pe Dum Mai 04, 2008 8:53 pm

I can’t approve this! And I don’t think that these are improvements as long as they are damaging the world. Improvement means better and the real improvements have just begun. The cars will be in the near future electric wich I think it’s the best thing, because the old cars but even some of the new ones do a lot of damage to the nature because of the gases. And there are many other things that work with fosile fuel wich burns, and evacuates in the atmosphere all kind of toxic gases. And all this gases, if there won’t be any major improvements will soon destroy our precious earth.
Very soon I hope the world will be again a green planet, like it was before the industry appeared, and the air we breathe will be truly clear.
kenzolic
Elev

Mesajde kenzolic pe Dum Mai 04, 2008 8:54 pm

si o sa mai bag mai multe!cate o sa pot eu face daca or fi bune si daca mai baga si altii
kenzolic
Elev

Mesajde Andreea pe Lun Mai 05, 2008 7:25 am

I think the technological basis for improved standards of living is causes environmental damage. Though damage is caused to the natural world because of corparations attempting to fulfill demand the main threats are the stripping of rainforests and carbon footprints. We have anlternative resources but we dont use them.
I think that the salience of carbon fuels and practices which damage the environment ase caused by:

The drive for profits
The power of oil corporations
The ideologies generated by powerful corporations to suppress the calling for alternatives and make people deny global warming.(who probably believe these theorys: they arent conspirators)

So we could switch to alternatives but powerful influences are blocking and ignoring alternatives(at there own expense in the future) because it would be a significant sacrifice for them to change their practices.
Andreea
Elev de nota 10

Mesajde claaudia89 pe Mie Iun 04, 2008 10:56 pm

3) Damage of the environment is an inevitable consequence of worldwide improvements in the standard of living. Discuss.

Granted, advanced technologies improved our living. However, our economic growth is still intrinsically linked to the main causes of environmental damage: first, rising energy and resources consumption and, second, increasing levels of solid waste and air pollution. The former is due to the big industrial companies’ competition in the market and it leads to a shortage of the raw materials, especially oil and coal, which are non-renewable resources. The latter can be attributed directly to the rapidly increasing number of private cars in use. Together with the industrial burning of fossil fuels like oil, coal and gas for energy, they release Carbon Dioxide(CO2) which causes global warming, disruption in the ozone layer and acid rain that destroys plant and animal life. At last, but not the least, waste and residual substances poison water and land environments. Therefore, alternative renewable sources of energy (such as wind, solar and geothermal power) and recycling of the waste are ultimately the only real ways to stop this environmental crisis.
claaudia89
Elev

Mesajde musa paradisiaca pe Vin Iun 13, 2008 4:27 pm

mell scrie:
3.Damage of the environment is an inevitable consequence of worldwide improvements in the standard of living. Discuss.

"Man has been endowed with reason, with the power to create, so that he can add to what he has been given. But up to now he hasn't been a creator, only a destroyer. Forests keep disappearing, rivers dry up, wild life has become extinct, the climate is ruined and the land grows poorer and uglier every day !" ( Anton Chekhov )

Introduction :

- for thousands of years , people hunted, fished and farmed the land for food;
- they used plants to make cloth, paper, dyes, and medicines;
- they made tools and weapons from stone and metals;
- in time, they invented machines which were driven by water;
- later, people learned how to power them with fuel, like coal, gas or oil;
- they put up factories where numerous products could be made ( such as new types of clothing, furniture and machines );
- and they built power stations to provide factories and homes with electricity;
- all these activities have been called improvements in the standard of our living;

Development :

A. Resources as Environment :

- but for a long time, no one realized that these improvements of our living were harming the earth;
- it was difficult to see just how quickly we were using up important natural resources ( like oil, coal, gas, and useful
minerals );
- few people worried about the spreading cities or about spoiling our surroundings;
- only in recent times people realized that the things used to provide means to satisfy wants become resources only when people are able to use them;
- but human wants are very diverse;
- and human wants can extend from very basic physical requirements ( such as food and shelter ) up to ill-defined aesthetic needs;
- that is why resources include a vast range of items;
- the intellectual resources of a society ( its ideas and technologies ) determine which aspects of the environment meet the society's needs, so that they could become resources;
- it was a time when minerals such as coal and iron cores tended to dominate the perception of resources;
- but in our very modern society, the concept of resources comes now to embrace also beautiful landscapes and pleasant climates as resources;

B. Environment, Exploited Chaotically and Cruelly Damaged :

- the natural world is under violent assault from man;
- the seas and the rivers are poisoned :
a). by radioactive wastes,
b). by chemical discharges
c). and by the dumping of dangerous toxines and raw sewage;
- the air we breathe is polluted by smoke and fumes or smogs from factories and motor vehicles;
- the rain is poisoned;
- governments and industries throughout the world are intensifying their efforts to extract the earth's mineral riches and to plunder its living resources;
- poisonous chemicals and gases released into the air by cars and factories cause serious air pollution; global warming; destruction of ozone layer; acid rain and changes in local climate; affect plant and animal life;
- uncontrolled fishing and hunting endanger animal life;
- chemicals from aerosol sprays and fridges cause the destruction of the ozone layer;
- pesticides and dangerous chemicals from factories, poured into the rivers, seas and oceans, cause water pollution;
- these pesticides and dangerous chemicals also endanger or kill animal life in the rivers, seas, and oceans;
- deforestation causes the spreading of the deserts;
- nuclear accidents cause the death of some vital points on the skin of our planet;

C. Environment's Slightly Perceptible Cry for Being Helped :

- man's so-called "improvements in the standard of living" should also take into consideration improvements in the environment ( which were totally neglected );
- nuclear plants should be supplied with high technology equipment and more strictly controlled ( thus improving the quality of the air we breathe );
- we should use bicycles instead of cars, thus participating in the race against air pollution;
- we should not leave TV or the electric lights on when we do not use them, thus diminishing the now prefigured energy shortage crisis;
- people should use litter bins, thus actively participating in the fight against garbaging modern towns and cities;
- we should plant more trees, thus participating in the health improvements of our planet's lungs;
- governments should encourage those industries that use cleaner methods of production;
- we should save as much paper as possible; thus saving as much plant life as possible;
- factories that pollute the soil or water should be severely punished;
- harsher punishments should be applied for illegal fishing and hunting;
- factories should be equipped with filters for their funnels;
- cars should use unleaded petrol;
- people should be educated about the importance of recycling;
- ecology should be a compulsory subject at school;
- governments should sponsor research into pollution prevention;
- public awareness about the protection of the environment should be raised;

Conclusion :

- if I do not know what is happening I can't influence the outcome;
- I read as much as I can about the environment, for there are new publications coming out all the time;
- I try and form a reading pool with my friends and exchange books and magazines;
- I looked into creating green groups at school, and I will look into creating them in university or my future working place;
- I will join as many green organizations as I can and I will get regular bulletins of their work;
- I tend to fancy the world begins at my front door;
- I also fancy the consequences of actions on my immediate surroundings fan out like ripples in a pool, and add to the total good or bad;
- the "Green Peace" is up to me !
musa paradisiaca
Elev de nota 10

Mesajde Aixa pe Lun Iun 23, 2008 9:13 pm

We have come to the end of a millenium of accelerating destruction of the world around us. While human creativity and technology have blossomed , we have been destroying the ecology of our planet. The sad fact is that every day the diversity of life on earth gets poorer because of our overuse of resources and our disregard for the riches of nature.

Since the industrial revollution, man has burned quantities of fossil fuels, first coal and then fuel, and the result was that the composition of atmosphere has started to change.Burning these fuels produces gases which act in the atmosphere like glass in a greenhouse and trap the heat of the sun - this is known as the greenhouse effect.The overall global temperature has begun to rise. Global warming is expected to lead to extreme changes in climate.

Industrial processes produce poisonous substances.If these toxic wastes are buried in underground storage sites, there is a danger that they may leak into lakes and rivers. Emissions from industrial plants can cause damage to the ozone layer around the planet.They also can fall back to Earth , as acid rain,and destroy plants and trees.

I think the technological basis for improved standards of living causes environmental damage. Damage is caused to the natural world because of the corparations attempting to fulfill demand . We have alternative resources but we don't use them. We could switch to alternatives but powerful influences are blocking and ignoring alternatives at there own expense in the future, because it would be a significant sacrifice for them to change their practices.
When we tamper with the environment , it is not just nature which suffers. Our own way of life is under threat.
Aixa
Elev Silitor

de Robot pe

Robot

Locaţie: IT

Înapoi la L1 normal si L2